Australians of all ages love their technology. In fact, we have some of the highest rates of technology penetration in the world. So it comes as no surprise that recent OzTAM research shows we are increasingly turning to content consumption across multiple devices including tablets and mobile phones. Here’s the lowdown:
- In 2012, 82.3% of Australians had accessed the Internet in the 12 months prior – the 25th highest rate of Internet users per capita in the world.
- 37% of Australian households own tablets (up 22% from last year), and 67% of people over the age of 16 own a smartphone.
However, despite our eagerness to pick up new gadgets, most Australians still appear to be reluctant to detach themselves from the familiarity of the television. OzTAM has found that, on average, 96 hours of broadcast TV is watched per Australian each month, with 97% of all TV viewing being live.
96 hours seems particularly high when you consider that the average Australian spends…
- 5 hours and 18 minutes per month watching video on computers
- 1 hour and 20 minutes per month watching video on mobile phones
- 50 minutes per month watching video on tablets
Many small to medium businesses are set to benefit as large media companies drive consumers to mobile phone and tablet devices to view their content. That’s because barriers to entry have been lowered.
It’s not uncommon to watch television content online and then switch to other forms of video content through YouTube.
Smart business owners are combining video as part of their content marketing strategy to ensure that they are in the same space as many large multi-nationals.
As people become increasingly familiar with online consumption the marketplace for business owners continues to grow and we think we have only seen the tip of the iceberg.
So, all encouragement to the large companies leading the online charge because it will only benefit SMEs in the long run.
If you want to find out how to put together an effective content marketing package contact Infodec Communications today.
Check out our multi-screen infographic below.