Years ago copywriters worked for advertising agencies like the one featured in the hit TV series Mad Men. They worked on branding and advertising ideas putting together snappy and persuasive copy. Fast forward to 2014 and companies, SMEs and individuals hire copywriters for a huge array of projects.
These projects revolve around products or services, brochures, newsletters, copy for SEO, copy for websites, even copy for social media posts.
So, if you are thinking of hiring a copywriter here are a few questions you should ask:
- Do you have experience writing copy about [insert the services or products provided by your company]?
- Can you show me a portfolio of work across different business sectors and mediums? For example websites, brochures, long form content, tenders, resumes?
- Do you have professional indemnity insurance? This is especially important if you are working with a new copywriter because you don’t want to be left holding the bag if something goes wrong and that writer plagiarises someone else’s work, accidently or otherwise. Large companies don’t hire copywriters without seeing their insurance details and neither should you.
- Are you able to make complex issues simple?
- If you are hiring a copywriter to work on your website or on some marketing material ask them if they have worked in collaboration before with other professionals like web developers or graphic designers. Also, ask them to provide examples.
- What is your background and how does it shape the way your write?
- Who owns the copyright for the work that you produce? Will you provide me with a license to use work that is produced in the future and across different platforms?
- Do you have long term clients? Long term clients usually indicate that copywriters are able to follow a brief, are reliable and provide expert copy.
- Do you have formal qualifications in writing/communications/journalism or a significant amount of experience working in a communications role?
These are just a few points to consider. Content marketing is on the rise and that means copywriters are in demand. But, before you hire someone, it’s important to consider what that person or company will bring to the table. As with any business, experience and professionalism do count.
Infodec Communications is a professional and experienced communications agency that provides expert copywriting services. We are also covered by professional indemnity insurance and clearly explain licensing details related to the work we produce for our clients. Contact us today to find out more.